2006-09-27 : Employee saves the day after robbery

http://www.dispatch.co.za<br>
letters@dispatch.co.za (was eledit@iafrica.com)

Moderator: GenMod

2006-09-27 : Employee saves the day after robbery

Postby GOSA » Tue, 2006-10-03 16:52

http://www.dispatch.co.za/2006/09/27/Easterncape/cday.html

Employee saves the day after robbery

Amalinda Nursery’s Ian Page trails and catches four armed suspects

By MODISE KABELI

Crime Reporter

AN Amalinda Nursery employee became an instant hero yesterday when his bravery led to the arrest of four men who were part of a group that allegedly robbed the establishment earlier that morning.

The heroic efforts of Ian Page, who is the brother of Amalinda Nursery owner Malcolm Page, led to the arrest of the men who had earlier run away with an undisclosed sum of money.

The four were allegedly among six armed men that stormed into the nursery shortly after 7.30am.

Ian Page, 47, yesterday related to the Daily Dispatch how he, together with another employee, chased after the alleged robbers after the robbery. He said they managed to catch up with them after they were involved in a collision with another vehicle.

“I was about 800 metres behind them when the accident happened … they were turning into Woolwash Road from Kemps Road.”

He added that he was the first vehicle on the accident scene and he started removing the firearms from the robbers.

“One of them shot at me … I heard about three shots, but I kicked him before he could hit me.”

Ian Page said he recovered two of the firearms used in the robbery and handed them to the police, who arrived later.

Captain Stephen Marais confirmed the robbery, adding that one of the suspects had also suffered “severe lacerations to the head” while others sustained broken bones.

Marais said a third firearm was recovered in the nearby bushes by the police dog unit.

“We also recovered a suspected stolen vehicle and money at the scene.”

He said the four suspects were under police guard at Frere Hospital following the accident.

Marais said three of the robbers were arrested on the scene after their getaway vehicle was involved in a collision with another vehicle.

“The three were arrested with two firearms at the accident scene while the fourth suspect was arrested about 200 metres from the scene.”

Marais said the four would be charged with armed robbery, attempted murder and possession of unlicensed firearms and ammunition.

They are expected to appear at the East London Magistrate’s Court tomorrow.
What have YOU done for YOUR rights today?
GOSA
Site Admin

Return to The Daily Dispatch