Walter Sisulu University protects shoddy work

Postby crimefree » Sat, 2008-10-11 18:01

The Vice-Chancellor
Prof. N. Morgan
Walter Sisulu University,
Mthatha,
South Africa.

Subject: Flawed paper - Prof. B Meel.
Cc: !!meel@getafix.utr.ac.za!!, !!sotsha@getafix.utr.ac.za!!
"TEMBEKA (DR) MPAKO-NTUSI" <!!tmn@wsu.ac.za!!>,
"Vice Chancellor" <!!vc@wsu.ac.za!!>

Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 17:49:02 +0200

Dear Sir,

Trends in firearm-related deaths in the transkei region of South Africa. Meel B. Am J Forensic Med Pathol 2007; 28(1): 86-90. From the Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, Walter Sisulu University, Mthatha, South Africa refers:

I as a lay person without the benefit of a formal education can see that the conclusion of this paper is problematic to say the least.

While I don't have a copy of the original full text as this is not possible to obtain without subscription. The abstract is sufficiently informative to show that major problems exist.

The objective states clearly that the purpose of this study is to determine the incidence of firearm-related deaths and to understand the underlying causative factors.

In other words a causative relationship between firearms and violent death was to be investigated to gain some understanding of the influencing or causative factors.

While there can be no doubt that a bullet fired from a firearm (legal or illegal) and examination of a dead body, the bullet or projectile can be directly established as the cause of death. The paper fails to establish a causative relationship between the firearms in society or the study location as the cause of death.

At best an autopsy can only establish the cause of death. An autopsy cannot determine a causal relationship between the motive of the perpetrator or the choice of instrument of death. Nor can it determine if the instrument itself played a part in the decision to kill.

As a student writing such a paper would or should soon find out a number of very vital steps have been omitted and such a conclusion simply is not possible from the presented data.

Professor Meel as a medical expert cannot deny Austin Bradford Hill's suggestions on determining causality as paramount in ensuring that association or correlation was not confused with causality.
Strength:
Consistency:
Specificity:
Temporality:
Biological gradient:
Plausibility:
Coherence:
Experiment:
Analogy:

Professor B. Meel seems to have made many mistakes no student would be allowed to make without correction.

While the number of deaths (murder) decreased in South Africa between 1994 and 2000 by some 21% the number of firearms licenses issued increased by 64%. This is in direct conflict with Meel's conclusion.

The simplistic association with an increase of deaths due to firearms trauma in a small location of South Africa while the overall death rate was decreasing is more suggestive of weapons substitution than anything else. It is counter intuitive of a causal factor.

While I am sure that those far more learned that I will be able to show the failure of this paper to satisfy a single requirement of Austin Bradford Hill I point to gradient as a good example.

Meel states in his conclusion "There is a high incidence of firearm-related deaths in Transkei, which is in support of stricter gun control."

England in 1997 introduced a ban on hand guns. This has resulted in vast increases of violent and firearm related deaths. Violent crime in particular confrontational crime has increased dramatically. So much so that in all categories of violent crime with the exception of rape and murder England now exceeds that of the USA. The experience of Canada, Australia, Brazil and Jamaica as some more recent "experiments in gun control" are no different. In fact I challenge Professor Meel to produce a list of more strict gun control laws introduced anywhere in the world in the last two hundred years which have produced either a reduction of crime or supply of firearms to criminals. Some comment on the statistical significance of any that may be found must be made.

While the USA one of the few countries in the world which has seen a decrease of gun control legislation and easing of issue of carry permits has now some of the lowest recorded levels of crime in its history.

I would also like to point to the research of the Academy of Sciences and Center for Disease Control review committee. In summary, the Academy of Sciences studied the results of gun control laws. Their 328-page report based on 253 journal articles, 99 books, 43 government publications, a survey that covered 80 different gun-control measures and some of its own empirical work could not find a single one.
http://www.nap.edu/catalog/10881.html
The full text
http://www.nap.edu/catalog/10881.html#toc

Even the USA gun control propaganda factory, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) in a review of 51 of its best papers failed to find a single successful gun control law passed.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwR/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5214a2.htm

"In summary, the Task Force found insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of any of the firearms laws reviewed for preventing violence."

While Gunfree South is well known for commissioning fraudulent research and its hysterical animation of metal and ascribing magical powers to firearms. I was not aware that the Walter Sisulu University ascribed to the same principles.

There is only one conclusion the issue of this paper is irresponsible and fraudulent. I am sure that the Walter Sisulu University would not like to be associated with such shoddy and flawed outcomes based research.

The only reply

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 12:57:10 +0200
Subject: Re: Flawed paper - Prof. B Meel.

Dear XXXXXX

I noted your comments, and in a democratic society it is accepted. Before 1994, we were not allowed to write an article by a non-white in a scientific journal. You feed back strengthen me and my proud university. Racicism has removed from government papers and cocuments, but not from peoples mind. It will take another century to get their mind OK.

Meel

The reply sent

Dear Sir,

Your reply is as offensive as your work and appears to lack any reference or rebuttal to any of the charges I have made.

I challenge you to point out a single racist remark in my comments and fail to see any connection to your ridiculous and slanderous remarks.

You appear to be totally misguided. In a democratic society I am entitled to my opinion. Who acts on my opinion or what they do is entirely up them. What they consider valid and in the interests of truth and fact is equally entirely up to them.

A discussion would have been welcomed on exactly how you have proved a causal relationship between levels of firearms ownership and crime. Now I suggest that if WSU consider your claim valid they shout it from the roof tops because it will be a world first. I am sure WSU and South Africa could do with the acclaim and honour.

~~

Name and address removed for privacy reasons
"Two memorials remain today at Thermoplylae. Upon the modern one is engraved his response to Xerxes' demand that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas' reply was two words, Molon Labe. 'Come and get them'."
crimefree

Return to Essays