Are Legally Armed any good?

Discuss the good and the bad of licencing and re-licencing your firearms

Are Legally Armed any good?

Postby Shannow » Mon, 2008-06-30 23:44

Are there any stats to indicate that using the services of Legally Armed in your license application improves your chances of success? Or are they just milking people out of their money before chucking your application into the lottery that is the Central Firearms Registry's approval board?

Don't get me wrong, if they actually improve your chances, I'd leap at using them. But if all they do is write a shot-in-the-dark motivational letter (which I could do myself), then they are merely creating false hope among hapless applicants.

What I'm getting at is that I too have studied the Act, and know what I need to do to comply with the letter of the law. I too can write an eloquent 10 page motivational letter.

But what I CANNOT know, is what the CFR's criteria are for adjudging "adequate motivation", or lack thereof. If legally armed has insight into this, then I'll use them in a flash.

But if they are merely guessing, and counting on flowery sentences and legal jargon to try and soft soap the approval board, then they're not really adding much value.

Does anyone know more about them, and their success rate?
An armed society is a polite society.
Shannow

Postby jvr » Tue, 2008-07-01 09:20

I'd also like to know.

I heard from them through my DFO and another guy there who got all his licences approved (about 8 or 9 rifles). The problem is that the guy that got all his licences approved is a dedicated hunter so I'm not sure if LA helped him to become a dedicated hunter or helped him with his applications alone.

I've these websites for LA.

http://www.legally-armed.co.za/ for gauteng

and another for the whole country http://www.legallyarmed.co.za/

and http://www.lawc.co.za/contact.html

They appear to be the same people.

A quote from the website:

Your application to the SAPS will bear the Legally Armed LOGO making your application a pleasure for the SAPS to assess, reducing the time and effort spent at the Police station and more importantly your application stand a 0% chance of being returned from the CFR for reasons such as "Incompletion" or "Lack of motivation"
jvr

Postby Koos Custodiet » Thu, 2008-07-03 17:40

Shannow wrote:But what I CANNOT know, is what the CFR's criteria are for adjudging "adequate motivation", or lack thereof. If legally armed has insight into this, then I'll use them in a flash.

Nobody does know. So no, Legally Armed does not know.

Having said that, there's an old joke I often tell, of the two fellows being chased by the lion, and the one guy stops to put tekkies on. The other fellow says "Are you nuts, you can't outrun a lion even with tekkies on". "I don't have to outrun the lion, I only have to outrun you".

Your application to the SAPS will bear the Legally Armed LOGO making your application a pleasure for the SAPS to assess

*choke*

The LOGO makes the application a pleasure to assess? That's the kind of quote that would make me very nervous.

and more importantly your application stand a 0% chance of being returned from the CFR for reasons such as "Incompletion" or "Lack of motivation"

If that's a money back guarantee I'd use them.

If they said "small", sure. But by saying "zero" they're really putting themselves out on a limb.

Anybody who helps people write motivations are good guys. Many people havn't studied the law, and many people can't string two words together in a sentence, so there's a market out there.

As you said, you can do it yourself.

The trick is to not give the CFR any reason to be able to refuse you. This is harder than you might think. Firstly we're all raised to not brag about achievements, and secondly we're raised to not stretch the truth. And for an application, you need to do lots of both. Well, actually, when it comes to stretching the truth, it's more of a mindset change. In your mind you might be a fair shot. In your application, you're an excellent shot (and trust me, you probably are -- we just tend to compare ourselves to the guys at the range, not the man in the street). Same goes for honesty, trustworthyness, you name it.

Put in everything from the first gold star you got in sub A (OK, I'm exaggerating here, but only a bit).

Look at every applicable point of the law and regs, and write a paragraph showing how you comply to that. It's not difficult, it's just a helluva lot of work.

But for those fellows to meet their zero % chance claim, they have to have an inside lane at CFR. Which could be useful if one could prove it...
Koos Custodiet

Postby jvr » Thu, 2008-07-03 18:43

If we had reasonable laws we would be discussing guns and shooting on this gun forum instead of this bureaucratic crap.

We don't give the police any reason to refuse an application. They refuse it because they don't want the population armed or the person grading your application just doesn't like your picture or hates guns.

They run a background check, you take a test, they interview people you know and make sure you have a safe. What more do they really need? All this is still not enough, which makes me believe it's just a process put in place to reduce the number of applications they have to turn down - less work.
jvr

Return to Licencing and re-licencing