2007-10-17 : Ex-officer suing SAPS over theft

http://www.citizen.co.za <br>letters@citizen.co.za

Moderator: GenMod

2007-10-17 : Ex-officer suing SAPS over theft

Postby GOSA » Tue, 2007-11-06 07:12

Ex-officer suing SAPS over theft

TSHIFHIWA SHONISANI

GAUTENG – A former Pretoria police superintendent is planning to take the SAPS to court for breach of promise after he was robbed in his Garsfontein home on Sunday evening.

Morne Van Wyk, who worked as head of communication for the city police area, said the SAPS refused to grant him a firearm licence, and told him not to worry about his safety as “they would defend him”.

“Now where were the police when four armed men stormed into my house while I was relaxing with my family?

“I am very angry, because if they had approved my licence, I could have defended my family,” said Van Wyk.

He said the SAPS had told him he had not provided enough motivation.

“They have taken a decision which was not based on merit. We are going to pursue this further with other families who have the same problem,” he said.”

The house robbery drama started when a man stormed into Van Wyk’s house and held him at gunpoint on Sunday at about 6.30pm.

Three other men followed, two armed with pistols. They ordered Van Wyk, his wife and seven-year-old daughter to lie face down on floor.

The three were tied up with neckties before the robbers went to the bedroom to fetch his 11-year-old son.

“They were screaming and swearing. One of them was standing next to my head threatening to rape my wife if I did not hand over my gun,” said Van Wyk.

The men ransacked the house taking a wallet, jewellery, a laptop, a camera, household goods, clothes and other items.

They fled in Van Wyk’s wife’s blue Toyota Corolla, registration number SXK071GP, which has not yet been recovered.

He could not phone the police as their cellphones were taken.

Van Wyk said he had followed the suspects in his bakkie, but could not confront them when he caught up with them in Nellmapius, east of Pretoria, as he did not have a firearm.
What have YOU done for YOUR rights today?
GOSA
Site Admin

Return to The Citizen