Guns and kids

Articles to help you counter hoplophobic arguments.

Moderator: GenMod

Guns and kids

Postby GOSA » Mon, 2007-11-26 09:36

A Family Runs Through It

http://www.pkmeco.com/familyblog/2007/10/guns-n-kids.html

Monday, October 01, 2007

Guns N Kids

When my son was born, both my wife and I agreed that we would discourage him from playing with toy guns. We simply wouldn't have them in the house.

I'm not talking about hunting. No, I mean games of "cops and robbers" or "cowboys and indians." We were nervous about the effects of that kind of imaginary violence on our child.

In other words, we were new parents who were totally clueless.

Because since then we have realized two things. First, there is not one darn thing you can do to prevent a boy from playing shoot-em-up games. From almost the time he learned to walk, my son was running around saying "Bang Bang" with a spoon or Lego or some other object in his hand.

I have no idea where he learned it. Maybe it's genetic. Maybe prehistoric toddlers ran around their caves with a stick in their hand yelling "Bonk Bonk!"

Even when we took away the toys, he found other things to turn into guns. He would even roll his napkin up into a tube and use that to shoot bad guys.

That leads me to the second thing we realized. Playing with toy guns is not going to warp our kids' minds. I believe it does just the opposite, as a fertile imagination can only be beneficial to a child. Shooting outlaws and monsters is not going to turn them into homicidal psychopaths or make them indifferent to human life.

I should've just remembered my own childhood. Yup, that's a 7-year-old me in that photo. I turned out okay. Right?
What have YOU done for YOUR rights today?
GOSA
Site Admin

Return to Educational Articles