Re-Licencing

Discuss the good and the bad of licencing and re-licencing your firearms

Re-Licencing

Postby 2TS » Fri, 2010-01-22 10:55

Good day- I need some help.

October last year my home was burgled and my safe was hacked/chiselled off the wall- the alarm was prfessionaly cut!!!

I lost my CZ75,my 38 special and my competency card which was housed in the safe. I had the new licences done and given to me in 2008. CZ was primary carry gun and 38 was Sect 215.
The 38 I bought and licended in 1993 and the CZ in 2000.

The detective assigned to my case was gobsmacked as to how my safe was removed, he said there was no need for a board? to be held.

This is where I need help. I just purchased a Glock 19.

Do I go through the whole licencing procedure, with motivations etc as though its a new licence, and I have never been licenced before?

Thanks in advance.
2TS

Postby wrm » Sun, 2010-01-24 08:28

Hi

Well, you lost your competency card, you didn't lose competency (like losing your ID book). Ask SAPS to issue you with a new competency card.

They're bound to be sticky but that's just because they're bound to be sticky...

With competency in hand, you have to apply for a new licence for a new firearm. That's always been the case, it's the firearm that's licenced not the user.

The idea was to licence the user not the firearm and with typical bureaucracy we ended up with both the user *and* the firearm now needing licencing...

You will have to get them to cancel the existing licences, otherwise they will tell you you have too many firearms.

First check to see that your firearms have not been recovered. If they have, they still belong to you, and you still have licences for them. Again, SAPS will be sticky about giving them back to you, most likely.

Keep us updated.
[x]No Guns [x]No Rights [x]No Future [x]No Way
wrm

Postby 2TS » Mon, 2010-01-25 10:13

Thanks.

I check religiously if those guns were recovered.
Have done app for duplicate comp cert.

Will keep you updated.
2TS

Return to Licencing and re-licencing