New licence applications : a log

Discuss the good and the bad of licencing and re-licencing your firearms

New licence applications : a log

Postby wrm » Thu, 2008-08-07 13:18

So I went down to the Bellville cop-shop on Tuesday 2008-08-05.

20 x applications for collectors' licences, with paperwork (three organograms, affidavits from collectors' org stating that firearms fall within my declared fields of interest).

2 x applications for sport shooting licences (an Anschutz bolt action .22 handgun and a Ruger Super Blackhawk (44 mag)) -- silhouette shooting, with motivation (14 pages of motivation, copies of member ship and RO certificates, letter from chairman, + complete rules as referred to in motivation).

Girlie at cop shop has to phone Pretoria to find out whether she needs to take 22 full sets of fingerprints in duplicate or only one.

Cost will be R140 x 22 = 3k.

I also slipped in an application for a certificate to collect ammo, girlie doesn't know what to do with that.

More here as events unfold.
[x]No Guns [x]No Rights [x]No Future [x]No Way
wrm

Postby GJV » Thu, 2008-08-07 20:40

Dude, you have more patience and fortitude than all the citizens of a small country put together.

I re-licensed two firearms under the new law (1 pistol and 1 shotgun) and that was trying ... it took over 2 years in total. Then I decided to upgrade my pistol (Walther PP 7.65mm) to another (Glock G27 0.40S&W) which I thought would be easy as I'd already demonstrated my competency, etc.

Eight months later and the application is still in "quality control" which means that it has barely moved in Pretoria. I'm not sure that I would ever bother again ... and my recommendation to anyone enquiring about a new firearm will reflect this.

I have EU citizenship and it seems to be easier to get a legal firearm there than here. And we are the ones that need them!

Eish.
GJV

Postby wrm » Fri, 2008-08-08 09:01

GJV wrote:Dude, you have more patience and fortitude than all the citizens of a small country put together.

Actually, I have a goal.

OK, having lotsa guns is also nice.

But I'm trying to push this thing, see how badly we can make it break. Everyone should be applying for licences. Sheesh, at last weekend's auction, Leitmotif bought a R25 Astra pistol. I already have one of those in my collection, but R25? Peanuts.

Push the system. It might just break.

Go read up on my previous application, for silhouette guns. I think it took close to six years in total...
wrm

Postby wrm » Thu, 2008-08-28 11:46

2008-08-28 : Gurlie phoned, she finished the capturing, I need to bring 44 photographs. Will see if I can do that tomorrow morning.
wrm

Postby jvr » Fri, 2008-09-05 20:15

wrm wrote:2008-08-28 : Gurlie phoned, she finished the capturing, I need to bring 44 photographs. Will see if I can do that tomorrow morning.

So what do you tell the people that take and print your photos ;P ? They surely asked what was up?
jvr

Postby wrm » Sun, 2008-09-07 14:51

jvr wrote:So what do you tell the people that take and print your photos ;P ? They surely asked what was up?

Got my brother to organise pics. But if they ask, tell them. If they're anti, it's just business, and if they're pro, it's a chance to win more people to the cause.

W
wrm

Re: New licence applications : a log

Postby Bear » Fri, 2008-10-24 13:04

What's your latest update?

I paid close to R5k and presented 3 apple boxes full of detailed paper work 2 years ago. I ensured that all the details were correctly captured at the station and I have the proof of payment and submission in hand for all the applications. I am dedicated and competent as required by law. All actions were carried out by the station as stipulated.

I phone the FC Hotline on Tel: (012) 353 6111 on a weekly basis, there is no guarantee or commitment in time – your/our applications might now sit idle in "Under Consideration" status for the next 150 years! Or until such time as we pay a lawyer to take them to court yet again.
Bear

Postby Bear » Mon, 2008-10-27 07:35

Decided to dash down to the cop shop on Friday afternoon and lo and behold they had a deck of new licenses waiting for collection. All but 3 which seems to have got stuck somewhere in the system. All issued under Section 16 and all details are correct.
Bear

Postby Bear » Fri, 2008-11-14 13:10

:D :D :D
Another one issued yesterday - hunting rifle, two more to go.
Bear

Postby wrm » Sun, 2009-04-19 09:56

Update. When I asked earlier, they said that the applications had reached Pretoria in November. Sounds about right, the local guys are not too bad, compared to.

OK, so a week and a half ago I go have a look, about half the applications show "returned to provincial" or some such (and they can't tell me why) and the other half don't show on the system at all. I asked why, and the gurlie moves over to the other computer. "Ahah, linked to provincial, that one" thinks I. No such luck, she proceeds to fire up Zuma Deluxe and proceeds to look at me with a "you may go now" look.

So I go home, and draw up a table of the firearm, serial number, where it is, and when last it was worked on. Went down there on Thursday (16th April), peek around the corner, to be greeted with "Hi! The system's down!". No worries, sez I, here's a little table for you to fill in, thankyouverymuch.

Next week I'll see if she's done anything about it.

Meanwhile, I'm working on another 15 applications which will probably also be 22 by the time I get to submit them...
wrm

Postby wrm » Tue, 2009-05-26 17:27

Update : 2009-05-26

Absolutely no progress from the last post. Provincial moved, took them three weeks or more, they were supposed to be online from yesterday.

Got hold of DFO, they're working two shifts, 8 hours before 14:30 and 8 hours after, because they have four people and two computers and (at last) someone breathing down their neck, sounds like.

Have submitted my particulars at http://www.sahunters.co.za/nsa.

And the number of firearms for the next bundle has grown to over 30 :->
wrm

Postby wrm » Mon, 2009-06-01 15:29

Update: 2009-06-01

So my applications (all 22 of them) are back at Bellville. Pretoria says they can't process them, because there's no copy of my ID attached.

Apparently they need 22 copies of my ID.

*sigh*
wrm

Postby GJV » Mon, 2009-06-01 20:43

I'm sorry to hear of your continuing battles. I've managed to get mine (new Glock G27) and I don't think that I'll be doing that again in a hurry ... and definitely not 22 times in one go!

Although looking at the new little baby, it seems to make it all worthwhile.
GJV

Postby wrm » Thu, 2009-10-15 10:43

Maybe time for an update again.

Provincial has apparently admitted that copies of my ID were in fact attached... i.e. Pretoria screwed up.

Applications are now back at CFR, has been "received" which I infer means "told the system that the apps are with us", "prepared" (no idea) and given to "the Captain" who will then give it to "the Committee", and I have been told that this will (which means "might") be done today.

Now if I can get them to answer the phone...
wrm

Postby wrm » Thu, 2009-10-15 10:52

wrm wrote:Maybe time for an update again.

Provincial has apparently admitted that copies of my ID were in fact attached... i.e. Pretoria screwed up -- or that's what Bellville tells me anyhow. Picture a whole bunch of guys pointing fingers at one another...

Applications are now back at CFR, has been "received" which I infer means "told the system that the apps are with us", "prepared" (no idea) and given to "the Captain" who will then give it to "the Committee", and I have been told that this will (which means "might") be done today.

Now if I can get them to answer the phone...
wrm

Next

Return to Licencing and re-licencing