Shotgun for Defense

Discuss the good and the bad of licencing and re-licencing your firearms

Occassional-use firearm for self defence?

Postby GJV » Fri, 2008-06-20 20:53

Of course in the event that the (non self defence) fiream has been used for self defence in a home environment, it would probably be difficult for the State to prove that it was loaded before you picked it up.

I made sure mine was unloaded when my safe inspection was done...

And of course I keep it unloaded now ;>[/b]
GJV

Re: Occassional-use firearm for self defence?

Postby jvr » Fri, 2008-06-20 21:45

GJV wrote:Of course in the event that the (non self defence) fiream has been used for self defence in a home environment, it would probably be difficult for the State to prove that it was loaded before you picked it up.

I made sure mine was unloaded when my safe inspection was done...

And of course I keep it unloaded now ;>[/b]

Ha, but of course.

Anyway when a sports handgun is a pistol you can keep the mag loaded and just not inserted...if you really want to be a good citizen.

Imagine being charged with storing your own legally owned gun in a safe...LOADED!!
jvr

Postby GJV » Sat, 2008-06-21 13:41

GJV wrote:Keeping non self defence firearms unloaded in a safe:

This taken from the reglations:

Chapter 10: Safe custody of firearms and ammunition
Safes and safe custody

86.(11) (a) Firearms other than those in respect of which a licence for self-defence in terms of section 13 of the Act has been issued, must be stored unloaded in accordance with these regulations.

Something else to bear in mind with the above discussions: in some EU countries (I think Ireland is one), you are required to have two safes - one for your firearm and one for your ammunition. AFAIK they now mostly only permit 'long arms' and not pistols.
GJV

Postby jvr » Sun, 2008-06-22 23:09

GJV wrote:
GJV wrote:Keeping non self defence firearms unloaded in a safe:

This taken from the reglations:

Chapter 10: Safe custody of firearms and ammunition
Safes and safe custody

86.(11) (a) Firearms other than those in respect of which a licence for self-defence in terms of section 13 of the Act has been issued, must be stored unloaded in accordance with these regulations.

Something else to bear in mind with the above discussions: in some EU countries (I think Ireland is one), you are required to have two safes - one for your firearm and one for your ammunition. AFAIK they now mostly only permit 'long arms' and not pistols.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics

A guy on Glocktalk who lives in Ireland has a G19 - IrishIronsight. As far as I know you can relatively "easily" own guns in many European countries, you just can't carry a gun for self-defence. They sometimes also have magazine and caliber restrictions.
jvr

Postby Junaid » Mon, 2008-06-23 13:07

jvr Posted: Fri, 2008-06-20 17:09 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wrm wrote:
Junaid wrote:
I have not studied the FCA myself

You should. As a firearm owner, this thing rules your life.

I was under the impression that the relicencing competency test was designed to make sure that firearm owners are familiar with the new act. You are the second person I'm talking to who has obtained the competency without knowing the law.

The other fellow believed the police when they told him he could only relicence one handgun. As I said, this was after he'd completed the test on the knowledge of the act.

I saw the stuff my mother had to work through to pass her competency, and it was quite thorough. I'm guessing there are some other trainers out there taking money in exchange for certificates without bothering the applicant with difficult stuff like studying the act?

Not even the police know the law. Thats why I'm four months into an appeal for my second handgun.

I was one of the very first applicants at that time, we were given a crash course on the act, most of it verbal and some paperwork if i remember correctly. I suppose things are somewhat changed nowadays a family member currently trying to undergo re-licensing was told by the police not to apply for a license for self defense as it will most certainly be rejected, instead he should apply for a license for business use??? anyone heard of that??

I will be the the first to admit confusion seems to be the order of the day, be it handgun owners or the SAP none is more well informed than the other.
I have been going through the act, trying to familiarise myself with it. I am really beginning to consider other methods of defence for times when i just can't arm myself with a handgun.

A family member was slain during the weekend getting off his car. I am considering buying knives, batons, stun guns, pepper sprays anything to keep in the car when i am not armed with a gun, something is better than nothing, in the mean time better get that belly gun, no matter what anyone might say, a small gun on your person beats the hell out of the large one in your gun safe, rule no.1 of a gun fight, HAVE A GUN.
Last edited by Junaid on Thu, 2008-06-26 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
Junaid

Postby jvr » Mon, 2008-06-23 22:05

pm sent to Junaid
jvr

Postby Junaid » Thu, 2008-06-26 09:19

In the pain and agony suffered by the loss of a family member, in which NO GUN WAS USED!! I like to post just one question to the ANTI GUN LOBBY!

If you remove the CANINES of a wild animal, that is born to kill, that knows no other way of life, to whom killing comes naturally, WILL IT LOOSE IT'S INSTINCT TO KILL??

Fortunately a wild animal will only kill for it's own survival, to preserve self and it's young, it will not kill for pleasure or any other sort of gain, and if it looses it's teeth it will not be able to survive or kill any longer.
The criminal element we are faced with will also not loose their willingness to kill, maim, or rob merely because they do not have guns, they WILL NOT STOP. If it's not guns, it will be knives, clubs, bricks or bare hands, they will not loose their instinct to kill. Until we do not accept this reality we are in for a huge surprise, they will not show you any mercy, so don't even expect it. How you deal with them when the time comes is entirely upto to you.
Junaid

Previous

Return to Licencing and re-licencing