New application with gun trade in

Discuss the good and the bad of licencing and re-licencing your firearms

Postby jvr » Sat, 2008-08-16 11:33

You failed to provide any supplementary documentation in support of your reasons and to substantiate the need namely, self-defence for which the firearm is required

You failed to provide any substantive and /or adequate reasons in order to proof that a need exist to possess the particular firearm and that the need cannot be satisfied by any other means than possessing the said firearm.

You failed to convince the Registrar that there exist circumstances or reasons that necessitate the possession of a handgun.

You failed to convince the Registrar why the specific firearm is the most suitable for the purpose as required namely, self-defence.

You did not provide any documentary proof of your participation in sport shooting or any proof that you belong to a sport association, club or organisation.

You did not indicate your affiliation at a sport club or participation in sport activities.

You failed to indicate that you participate, from time to time, in sport shooting activities.

You did not indicate the degree of proficiency you attained.
jvr

Postby jvr » Fri, 2008-09-05 20:12

Appeal sent to the CFR yesterday by courier. DFO said I should check in 10 days for registration update.

Few tips:

1. they must acknowledge receipt of your application.
2. since acknowledgement of receipt they've got 90 days to figure out if they are going to give you your licence.
jvr

Update

Postby GJV » Tue, 2008-12-02 21:10

An update from my side.

My application has been with "quality control" since early August 2008. After phoning the CFR call centre many times over, I finally managed to convince the operator to let me speak to someone who isn't solely trained in reading words like "in consideration" off the PC screen.

The news that it is in "quality control" is BAD. This is how things work (more-or-less):

1. Application is received at CFR. Status is "in progress".
2. Goes to "preparation for consideration" which I think means checking paperwork and your fingerprints for a criminal record.
3. Goes to "consideration" or "with the board".
4. The board deecides whether to approve or not. If approved, then you are notified.
5. If not, then it goes to "quality control" who check the board's decision and - if they agree - then you receive the dreaded letter. If not, then they can over turn the board's decision. (Apparently this does happen.) It could also go to quality control if there is a problem with your application - eg. missing some part of the motivation.

So "quality control" are generally the final check before you tell you "no". The problem, as confirmed by the senior CFR staff, is that this area is a shambles. There is a backlog of note.

I've managed to get my case added to a list of 'important' ones that the call centre is pushing for. I'm not sure that this is going to do the trick, but the person I spoke to was very helpful.

Next step seems to be to get ready to lodge an appeal. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
GJV

Postby wrm » Wed, 2008-12-03 10:44

I seem to remember them telling me that my previous set of applications (4 x silhouette guns) were at "quality control" as well... and I got the licences... so I don't know.

But that reminds me, time I went and checked up on my current set of applications.
[x]No Guns [x]No Rights [x]No Future [x]No Way
wrm

Postby GJV » Sun, 2009-02-08 13:05

jvr wrote:Appeal sent to the CFR yesterday by courier. DFO said I should check in 10 days for registration update.

Few tips:

1. they must acknowledge receipt of your application.
2. since acknowledgement of receipt they've got 90 days to figure out if they are going to give you your licence.

Hi jvr, the CFR's 90 days are now up. Any news from them?

I've faxed a complaint to the CFR iro my application, saying that it is taking too long. I need to allow for two weeks before following up. Will do this next week.

GJV
GJV

Good news at last

Postby GJV » Sun, 2009-03-15 16:12

Not sure that anyone is following this thread anymore but here we go ...

My new application has been approved. Whoo-hoo - FINALLY! The CFR called me last week and asked me to hand in my old firearm and fax them proof. Once done, they will send me the new license.

It took 15 months and 25+ calls and 1 letter of complaint, but I will shortly be the proud owner of a Glock 27 40S&W (and will give a sad farewell to my knock-off Walther PP 7.65mm).

Lessons learnt:

1. I probably will not go through this again. The bureaucracy, time delays and uncertainty make it just too much of a hassle. It makes a mockery of the motivation that you need the firearm for self defence, when they do not let you have the firearm for 15 months. I was in the fortunate position that I was replacing an existing firearm.

2. If you do go ahead, then persevere. Contact them frequently to make sure that the application is properly received, in process, etc.

3. Formally complain if it stays on someone's desk too long.

4. Choose your firearm carefully. You will not want to change it any time in the near future. I almost made the mistake of picking up a well-priced Glock 33 (.357Sig) which I now think will not fly in this country due to the limited ammo sources.

5. Spend time making sure that your motivation is sound. Read the posts above to get an idea of what they are looking for to reject your application.

Hope it goes well with everyone else out there.

PS And the latest news is that 8,000 police firearms went missing in the past 3 years. Suggestions are that many of these MAY {DISCLAIMER - not sure I heard right} have been sold and then reported lost / stolen / misplaced. Does this not suggest to the imbeciles who consult to our lawmakers that they are focussing on the wrong end of the spectrum?
GJV

Re: Good news at last

Postby GOSA » Mon, 2009-03-16 15:47

Congratulations.

GJV wrote:PS And the latest news is that 8,000 police firearms went missing in the past 3 years. Suggestions are that many of these MAY {DISCLAIMER - not sure I heard right} have been sold and then reported lost / stolen / misplaced. Does this not suggest to the imbeciles who consult to our lawmakers that they are focussing on the wrong end of the spectrum?

Those are just the ones they had to report. I'm pretty sure they lost more, which they were able to cover up.
What have YOU done for YOUR rights today?
GOSA
Site Admin

Postby Patrick » Fri, 2010-01-15 13:12

This is going absolutely nowhere!

How can this be acceptable, surly there is millions of court cases against the government they are waiting our money in calls, time and application fees, and so on and so on!

They can either give me a licence or not! My licence has been at CRC(criminal record centre) for competency for 6 months now, when I first called it was only going to take 2 months it goes up all the time, now they are telling me up to 8 months followed by its hard to say!?! With no feedback. This is ridiculas. HOW CAN IT TAKE SO LONG!!!!! HOW !?!

I applied in 06/2008 it is now 01/2010 and they can even tell me when I’m getting competency? I was told to contact Superintendant Morkel but no answer ever, Zumas line doesn’t pick up either.

I’m ready a few stories of people getting licences in 6 or 8 months? I just don’t understand it where is the order, what about the guys that have queued first???

I’ve sent complaints (no replies) and filled out every petition or such that I can find.

Does anybody know of anymore, anyone that is fighting court cases that need evidence/support, what more can I do???

All in all my application has taken 19 months since I handed it in at Lyttelton and i havent even recieved my competency!?!

Surely there is something we can do, we cannot just accept the way in which things are being handled.

The fact is ALL GUN OWNERS/APPLICANTS ARE NOT HAPPY IN THE WAY WHICH THINGS ARE BEING DONE!

I cannot accept that there is no way we cant stand together and sort this mess out!
Patrick

Previous

Return to Licencing and re-licencing