Lazarides judgement

Discuss the good and the bad of licencing and re-licencing your firearms

Lazarides judgement

Postby GOSA » Fri, 2007-09-21 07:51

Peter Lazarides is a collector who was refused a licence for a Musgrave 50BMG in 2003 or 2004.

His licence was refused, so he appealed.

The Appeal Board turned him down, so he took them to High Court.

The High Court chased him away, saying that "it was not in the public interest" for him to have this weapon. I defy anyone to find "it was not in the public interest" in the FCA.

He took it to the Appeal Court - and won bigtime.

The point here is not that he is a collector and the point is not that he is one of the few who had the money to go that far. The point is that he refused to give up, he refused to surrender and he refused to allow them to wear him down. As a result, he not only won but he created a precedent in
the second highest court in the land

He forced them to remember that the rule of law is supreme in the land; that even they - especially they - must abide by it. He showed them that their idleness, incompetence, ignorance or even their private opinions do not empower them to clear their desks at the end of the day by simply scrawling "not convinced of need" or " insufficient motivation" across each and every outstanding file.

And the point is that, in the process, he got some pretty senior judges pretty pissed off with Bothma and CFR. The language which the judges use is some of the strongest that I have seen ever. The degree to which they are pissed off is also reflected in the fact that they instructed Bothma and Co to pay Lazarides' FULL costs.

It is no use moaning that most of us don't have the money to do this. That is not relevant. Peter Lazardes has done it (for himself, yes) but has helped us all in the process.

He has helped us by giving CFR a wake-up call and by creating a precedent which can and will be quoted in the future.

I have had this judgement put up on the internet at:-

http://www.mazoe.com/lazarides.html

It is well worth reading.

Chas Lotter
What have YOU done for YOUR rights today?
GOSA
Site Admin

Postby jvr » Fri, 2007-09-21 15:17

Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside to hear of the guys success in getting his licence. :D

The real intent behind the refusal came out rather quicky : VIP safety and a "we know whats good for you" mentality.

I don't think cash in transit robbers are going to lug around a .50BMG, they get along fine using what they currently have.

Unfortunately, he is far from the average gunowner...but it's good to see justice done anyway.
jvr

Postby GOSA » Wed, 2007-11-07 15:01

Mirrored here.

Thanks Chas!
What have YOU done for YOUR rights today?
GOSA
Site Admin

Return to Licencing and re-licencing