letters@pretorianews.co.za or submit letters via website<br>
Fax: 012 328 7166

Moderator: GenMod

2006-11-14 : Cop accused of hijacking state official

Postby GOSA » Tue, 2006-11-21 10:10

Cop accused of hijacking state official
Tsabeng Nthite
November 14 2006 at 07:53AM

A senior provincial government official was hijacked at gunpoint, allegedly by a police officer, in the Pretoria CBD at the weekend.

Molatelo Mathikithela, 26, communications manager for the department of labour in Gauteng, said he found it hard to believe that the man who ordered him out of his car at gunpoint was a police official.

Mathikithela was driving out of Church Square shortly after lunch on Saturday afternoon, when he saw a group of people chasing after a man they suspected of robbery.

The suspect then approached his car and drew out a gun, ordering him out of his vehicle.

"I did as he instructed, left the keys in the ignition and he sped off. The people who were chasing after him said he had just robbed a woman in the street. They wanted to catch him and recover the stolen goods. They threw objects at him as he sped off.

"I called my tracking company and told them I had been hijacked.

"Within 30 minutes they called back, saying my car had been tracked to the Mabopane area and that they were waiting for police and their ground crew to recover it.

"I was shocked to later learn that the man who pointed a gun at me and hijacked my car was an inspector in the SAPS," said Mathikithela.

Tshwane police spokesperson Inspector Anton Breedt said the policeman was arrested at the weekend.

He faces charges of armed robbery, attempted murder and being in possession of a stolen vehicle.

This article was originally published on page 1 of Pretoria News on November 14, 2006
What have YOU done for YOUR rights today?
Site Admin

Return to The Pretoria News