2007-02-13 : Two armed robbers shot dead

http://www.pretorianews.co.za <br>
letters@pretorianews.co.za or submit letters via website<br>
Fax: 012 328 7166

Moderator: GenMod

2007-02-13 : Two armed robbers shot dead

Postby GOSA » Fri, 2007-02-23 17:08

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20070213011758585C909214

Two armed robbers shot dead
Graeme Hosken
February 13 2007 at 09:31AM

Two heavily armed robbers were shot dead during a gun battle with a Pretoria furniture removal shop owner.

The men allegedly launched their attack on the owner of GiGis Furniture Removal as he was opening his Jan Niemand Park office on Monday.

The gunmen, whose identities and nationalities police declined to reveal, are believed to have gained access to the Brander Street business premises by scaling a 4-metre wall and slipping over devil fork security spikes.

The owner, who asked not to be named, spotted the men walking past his office with guns and grabbed his gun waiting for them to attack.

The shop owner said that the gunfight was over within minutes.

"I saw them walking past the office window with guns and grabbed my firearm and waited for them.

"When they began shooting at me I shot back and that was it," he said, adding that it was the second time he had been attacked in the past year.

In the last attack the shop owner was shot in the hip during an attempted robbery. "I am still in shock and cannot believe what has happened. I was determined that I was not going to die," he said.

Police said the gunmen ran into the office, shooting at the man who returned fire, killing both attackers.

Police spokesperson Inspector Paul Ramaloko said both men died almost immediately. He said the shop owner escaped uninjured and was treated for shock.

Ramaloko said a case of attempted murder was being investigated as well as murder which was part of standard procedure.

# This article was originally published on page 3 of Pretoria News on February 13, 2007
What have YOU done for YOUR rights today?
GOSA
Site Admin

Return to The Pretoria News