2007-02-12 : Cop shot after handing over service pistol

http://www.pretorianews.co.za <br>
letters@pretorianews.co.za or submit letters via website<br>
Fax: 012 328 7166

Moderator: GenMod

2007-02-12 : Cop shot after handing over service pistol

Postby GOSA » Mon, 2007-02-12 14:11

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=15&art_id=vn20070212003438256C810368

Cop shot after handing over service pistol
Norman Joseph
February 12 2007 at 12:25PM

"Crime in South Africa is out of control and the government must do something about this," said a grieving Thandiwe Maotwane, whose policeman husband was gunned down at close range after surrendering his service pistol at gunpoint to two criminals in Philippi, Cape Town.

Constable Moitsimang Maotwane, 33, affectionately known as "Parky" to his colleagues at the Nyanga police station and in his Kuils River neighbourhood, was shot in the head.

Fighting back tears, his widow said she had called on his cellphone just before noon, unaware that he had been shot dead at about 11am.

"I often heard about other policemen being shot dead on duty, and now it's him …"

The couple were originally from Bloemfontein in the Free State.

Western Cape police spokesperson Superintendent Billy Jones said Constable Maotwane was picking up a reservist police colleague for duty.

"While walking back towards the police vehicle, he was approached by two men who pulled up in a red VW Jetta.

"They threatened him at gunpoint to hand over his official firearm.

"After the member surrendered his firearm, one of the suspects fired a shot at him.

"The constable sustained a single bullet wound to his head and died on the scene."

Thandiwe, an employee in the Department of Social Security in Wynberg, was told of his death at about 1.30pm.

"I just could not believe what they told me, I just could not believe it. He was a policeman for four years and planned to study so he could climb up the ranks in the police force."

Senior police officers took her to the Nyanga police station, which has the highest rate of reported murders in the country, for trauma counselling.

Holding her four-year-old daughter, Regomoditswe, on her lap outside their modest house in Kuils River, Maotwane said: "This morning I asked him whether it was going to rain.

"He opened the door and told me it wouldn't rain. Then I said goodbye to him and our daughter, and left.

"He normally waited until for our daughter's pre-school transport to arrive and his police colleagues usually fetched him at around 7am."

She said her husband was a sweet, loving, understanding and good person.

"He loved us and always made sure we had enough of everything in the house, where we have been living for three years.

They had moved to the Western Cape from the Free State four years ago.

"He was a soccer fanatic, loved his new car (a red Astra) and music."

o This article was originally published on page 7 of Pretoria News on February 12, 2007
What have YOU done for YOUR rights today?
GOSA
Site Admin

Return to The Pretoria News