2007-11-19: Cop's execution-style killing baffles

Articles from IOL (www.iol.co.za).

Moderator: GenMod

2007-11-19: Cop's execution-style killing baffles

Postby Rudi » Mon, 2007-11-19 19:51

Cop's execution-style killing baffles

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=15&art_id=vn20071119033501905C244655

November 19 2007 at 08:44AM

By Botho Molosankwe

Soweto police are mystified by the execution-style killing of a colleague.

Constable Khwezi Jacisa, 33, was found in the veld with a gunshot wound to his head.

He was lying near his police vehicle, which was idling. The doors were closed.

'I just thank God that I'm still alive'
Jacisa's firearm was next to him and his cellphone and wallet, with money in it, were still in his pockets.

According to the police, none of his possessions were taken, adding to the mystery surrounding his death.

Jacisa had knocked off work from Meadowlands police station early on Sunday morning.

He had dropped off a colleague in Dobsonville and was on his way back to the police station to pick up another officer and take her home.

That officer discovered Jacisa's body.

Jacisa, who had been an officer for two years, was responsible for driving his colleagues home after their shifts.

His colleagues became worried when Jacisa took some time to return from his trip to Dobsonville.

They called his cellphone and radioed him several times, but got no response.

By 7am he wasn't in the office, even though he was supposed to have been there an hour earlier.

Soweto police spokesperson Captain Kay Makhubela said: "One of the people he was supposed to take home called her husband to fetch her. While on their way home they saw his police vehicle and that he was lying next to it. He had been shot once in the head and his gun was at his side.

"The husband is an inspector and he secured the scene."

The body was found between zones 6 and 19 in Meadowlands, 2km from the police station. The motive for the killing was unknown.

Jacisa's cousin, Captain Nonkululeko Mlambo, also based at Meadowlands police station, said Jacisa quit his job as a taxi driver in the Eastern Cape in 2005 to fulfil a lifelong ambition to join the police force.

Mlambo said his death did not mean that she now feared death more.

"I have been a police officer for 22 years.

"I joined when there was unrest in the country, and it was more difficult then.

"This does not mean that I will now be more scared of performing my duty as an officer. I know death is there all the time and can happen to anyone, so I just thank God that I'm still alive."

No arrests had been made.

o This article was originally published on page 2 of The Star on November 19, 2007
Rudi

Return to From IOL