2007-11-15: I am dangerous, says Kunene after shooting

Articles from IOL (www.iol.co.za).

Moderator: GenMod

2007-11-15: I am dangerous, says Kunene after shooting

Postby Rudi » Mon, 2007-11-19 19:34

I am dangerous, says Kunene after shooting
Graeme Hosken
November 15 2007 at 05:54AM

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=15&art_id=vn20071115033349933C778550

The man at the centre of the African National Congress emails saga claims the organisation is out to kill him, because he is about to reveal damning details of the party leaders' shady deals.

Muziwendoda Kunene, who was mysteriously shot on Wednesday in what he says was an assassination attempt, vowed however, that he is not afraid and that he will never run away from his would-be assassins.

But questions are being asked about the "assassination attempt".

The shooting comes a day after he revealed he was the target of an assassination plot.

'I have become a danger to people in power'
According to Kunene, he was shot during a struggle with a suspected assassin who tracked him down to Lynnwood Ridge where he was preparing for a media interview. He was due to speak to e.tv at Safari Nursery about the spy drama currently gripping the country when two men ran up to him, threatened him and told him to stop talking to the media.

Kunene told Radio 702 on Wednesday that while working for the National Intelligence Agency, he had discovered information linking senior politicians to bribery and corruption.

And this, he has claimed, was the reason for the hit.

Kunene, who is in a stable condition at Pretoria Academic Hospital, said he was convinced the shooting was an attempt stop him from revealing "explosive and damning" information on corruption and bribery.

He was hesitant to reveal the information "as I need to be responsible and take the good of the country into consideration".

'I am not a coward and I am not going to run away'
He said he could reveal that it had to do with bribery, corruption, the arms deal, state accounts and money being moved out of the country and used for personal gain.

"What I know has so much power that I have become a danger to people in power in the ANC."

Saying he did not need to be placed in the witness protection programme, Kunene warned those out to get him that he was not afraid of them.

"If they want to kill me they must kill me. I am not a coward and I am not going to run away. I am warning those that sent their goons to kill me that I am going nowhere. I am not a pushover. I am still here."

Kunene said he would expose the information when the time suited him and then everyone would know about the "corruption and evil" that was going on.

The ANC on Wednesday dismissed his claims as a "conjured-up story".

"It is completely conjured up... The ANC has nothing to do with him, he has nothing to do with the ANC and he is not a member of the ANC and he is not part of any ANC structures," said the party's head of the presidency, Smuts Ngonyama.

The emails saga involves fake emails between "ANC leaders", discrediting ANC deputy president Jacob Zuma.

Police spokesperson Director Sally de Beer said an attempted murder case was being investigated.

o This article was originally published on page 1 of Pretoria News on November 15, 2007
Rudi

Return to From IOL